What is physical wellness?
Physical wellness promotes the proper care of our bodies for optimal health and daily functioning. There are many elements of physical wellness including fitness, nutrition, and sleep. Physical wellness is also concerned with being responsible for your own health care, addressing minor illnesses, and seeking medical attention when necessary. Physical wellness encourages balancing these elements to keep body and mind in good working condition, to limit fatigue as we move about our day.
The ability to recognize that our behaviors have a significant impact on our wellness and adopting healthful habits (routine check ups, a balanced diet, exercise, etc.) while avoiding destructive habits (tobacco, drugs, alcohol, etc.) will lead to optimal physical wellness.
While physical wellness can be difficult to maintain as we balance busy schedules, pressures, and commitments as graduate students, developing comprehensive physical wellness empowers us to be in tune with our body’s warning signs and set boundaries to make us more effective individuals. Other benefits of physical wellness often include enhanced self-esteem, psychological well-being, self-control, and a determined sense or direction.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Food and Diet
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. – recipes, blog, and app that revolve around eating healthy on a budget
Recipes and Tips for Healthy, Thrifty Meals – cookbook PDF by the USDA and Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
FoodWIse – more resources for eating healthy on a budget
Dane County Farmers’ Market on the Square
Grocery Delivery Info:
- Hyvee (free if you pay $103 in groceries)
- Met Calfe’s Delivery/Shop Online (Not free)
- Woodman’s Delivery & Online shopping
Fitness, Parks, and Outdoor Activities
UW Madison Recreational Sports:
- List of outdoor spaces, what sports and activities they support, and how to reserve them
- Group Fitness at UW Madison
- Dane County Parks
- City of Madison Parks
- Devil’s Head Resort
- Cave of the Mounds National Natural Landmark
- Outdoor rentals from the Memorial Union
- Brittingham Boats
- Marshall Boats
- Jetski Madison (if jetskiing can be considered a physical activity…)
Running and cycling:
- Upcoming road races
- Madison Marathon
- Run Madtown
- Ride WI – benefits cancer research at UW
- Hilly 100 – also has a costume contest
- Budget Bicycle Center
- Machinery Row Bicycles
- Madison BCycle – annual membership is $20 for students